Many homeowners neglect to perform an important maintenance task like air duct cleaning. Dust, grime, allergens, and other contaminants that can degrade the air quality in your home can gather over time in air ducts. Your HVAC system’s efficiency can be decreased by dirty air ducts, which can increase your energy costs and increase the likelihood of system failure. This article will discuss how frequently your home’s air ducts should be cleaned.
What is Air Duct Cleaning?
Let’s define air duct cleaning before discussing how frequently you should clean your air ducts. Cleaning your HVAC system’s ductwork involves removing the built-up dirt, dust, and other debris. A thorough vacuuming of the ductwork is usually performed after using specialized tools to loosen and remove the debris.
Benefits of Air Duct Cleaning
The following are some advantages of air duct cleaning:
- Better indoor air quality: You can breathe easier and lower your risk of respiratory problems by removing the contaminants from your air ducts.
- Energy savings: A clean HVAC system uses less energy to heat or cool your home because it operates more effectively.
- Extended lifespan of the system: Your HVAC system will last longer if it is kept clean because it will be less likely to experience problems or breakdowns.
- Reduced allergens: Dust mites, pollen, and pet dander are just a few of the allergens that air duct cleaning can get rid of, reducing allergy symptoms for those who suffer from allergies.
How Often Should You Schedule Air Duct Cleaning?
So how frequently should your home’s air ducts be cleaned? The answer depends on a number of variables, such as:
- Use: You should have your air ducts cleaned more frequently the more you use your HVAC system. Every three to five years, if you use your system frequently, you should schedule air duct cleaning. You can go up to 7 years between cleanings if you only use your system occasionally.
- Indoor air quality: You should think about scheduling air duct cleaning more frequently if you or anyone in your home has allergies, asthma, or other respiratory conditions. For houses with pets or smokers, the same holds true.
- Home renovations: You should schedule air duct cleaning if you’ve recently finished a home renovation, particularly one that required cutting or sanding drywall. Your air ducts may become clogged with construction dust, which will lower HVAC performance and result in poor air quality.
- Recent water damage: You should schedule air duct cleaning if your home has recently suffered from water damage, such as flooding or leaks. Mold growth brought on by water damage can compromise the quality of your air and present health risks.
- Infestations of pests: You should arrange for air duct cleaning if you’ve experienced a rodent or insect infestation in your home. Droppings, hair, and other debris that pests leave behind can affect the quality of your air.
Signs You Need Air Duct Cleaning
There are several indicators that it’s time to schedule air duct cleaning in addition to the factors mentioned above. These indicators include:
- Around air vents, there is observable dust and debris
- Odors that are offensive coming from your HVAC system
- Uneven airflow coming from your vents
- Higher energy costs
- Symptoms of allergies getting worse at home
If you see any of these symptoms, make an appointment for air duct cleaning right away.
An important maintenance task that can enhance indoor air quality and reduce your energy costs is air duct cleaning. The frequency of use, indoor air quality, recent renovations or water damage, and pest infestations all affect how frequently you should schedule air duct cleaning. Schedule air duct cleaning with a reputable company if you see indications that your air ducts are dirty or if you are worried about the quality of the air in your home. You can benefit from cleaner air, better HVAC performance, and a healthier home with routine air duct cleaning.
Our goals, processes, and services have evolved since we started Restored Air Disaster Solutions almost a decade ago. But some things have stayed the same, such as our mission statement: To provide excellent services while upholding the highest level of integrity, customer service and professionalism. Almost a decade ago, we offered odor removal and mold remediation only, but we’ve worked hard over the years to expand our team and service offerings and are now able to handle any of the following services with any size project.