Mold is a natural part of our environment. Mold spores are everywhere, and they can only be prevented from growing if the conditions that mold needs to grow are not present. However, when it does happen, homeowners should know how to identify mold or mildew in their homes and take care of it before the problem gets worse. This article has everything you need to know about identifying these common household pests so you can protect your home.
Before you even think about removing the mold or mildew, it’s important to identify what type of fungus you are dealing with. Mildew is a plant-like organism that grows on surfaces like fabric and plants (especially in damp areas). It can also grow indoors when bacteria from food spills react with high humidity levels.
Mold needs moisture and organic material (such as woody materials) to survive, so they often thrive in humid environments such as bathrooms and kitchens where there’s constant water contact. They don’t need light for survival either; instead, they require dark places to create spores that provide their next meal once released into the air.
Identifying Mold or Mildew: An Essential Guide for Homeowners
A musty odor, stains on the walls, black dots on the ceiling, and yellowish-brown patches on surfaces are all clear signs of mold or mildew. Mold is usually a greenish-black color, while mildew is grayish-white. Mold spores are microscopic and can float in the air, so it is important to be aware of their presence.
When looking at a suspected area of mold growth, you might notice an earthy smell like dirt mixed with rotten eggs coming out of vents, windowsills, carpets, or walls near them- this is due to the release of spores.
Mildew is more likely than mold to cause allergic reactions such as sneezing and irritation, while mold could cause respiratory problems in some people. Proper identification and removal of the mold or mildew will help protect you, your family, and your pets from harm. If you suspect there may be either in any part of your house, it’s best to contact a specialist for advice on what steps are needed next.
You may also consider getting a mold testing kit which will allow you to do a quick test on the suspected area of mold growth to determine if it is indeed mold and not just water stains or dirt.
If you find a sign of mildew or mold, be sure to eliminate the humid conditions that allowed its growth by opening windows and using fans, dehumidifiers, or air conditioners if necessary. It is, however, advisable to consider getting a professional inspection from a specialist because they have more experience with identifying the source as well as what steps should be taken next than homeowners do. These professionals will often come out at no cost when dealing with insurance claims due to damage caused by water leaks.
Mold detection can be difficult. Whether you’re a business or homeowner these are the signs that you might have a mold or mildew problem. Restored Air Disaster Solutions offers many options for inspection and remediation in your home or business. If you have any questions at all about a mold issue that you are facing, please feel free to reach out to our team.
Restored Air provides disaster restoration, fire & smoke damage restoration, water damage restoration, sewage cleanup, odor removal, mold remediation and antimicrobial services to Charleston and surrounding areas. We pride ourselves on complete customer satisfaction and have been doing so for close to a decade! We use state-of-the-art technology that is exclusive to Restored Air® in South Carolina. Call us today for a free consultation.